Being a big fan of “Mandelmanns gård”, I of course also like to try out their recipes. This time I made my own ketchup. I have the recipe in their cookbook. Yes, I also buy their books. 😉
You can find their recipes also on köket.se
But there they are in swedish. Here is it translated to english:
- 1.5 kg tomato, well ripe (preferably San Marzano)
- 0.5 kg of cherry tomatoes
- 2 yellow onions, medium-sized
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1.5 dl caster sugar
- 2 dl apple cider vinegar
- 1 dl rapeseed oil
- Cut the tomatoes into coarse pieces. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Also chop the celery stalks.
- Fry onion, garlic and celery in rapeseed oil in a large saucepan.
- Add basil, coriander seeds, cloves, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil without a lid until half of the liquid has boiled away. Stir occasionally so that it does not burn.
- Pass the tomato paste through a sieve into a new pot.
- Bring the ketchup to a boil again and season with salt.
- Pour into warm, well-cleaned bottles or jars and seal. Store in the refrigerator. Opened ketchup bottle lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
It is definitely easier to just go to the store and buy ketchup, but this one is so much better. It tastes fantastic and you know exactly what’s in there…
Too bad that grill season is over 🙂